GM Continues Strong Performance in China in February
Wed, March 7, 2018
Sales increase 7.8% to 265,994 units
SHANGHAI – General Motors and its joint ventures in China delivered 265,994 vehicles in February. Sales grew 7.8 percent on an annual basis despite fewer selling days due to the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday occurring last month versus in January in 2017.
Cadillac and Baojun both set February delivery records. Buick had its highest growth in 17 months, while Chevrolet had its seventh month of double-digit growth in the past eight months.
In the first two months of 2018, GM and its joint ventures had 12 percent sales growth with 633,706 units delivered. GM is introducing 15 new and refreshed models this year in China for sustained growth in its largest market.
- Cadillac sales surged 87 percent to 16,850 units, extending the brand’s double-digit monthly growth streak to two full years.
- The XT5 luxury SUV, with more than 6,300 units sold, was once again Cadillac’s best-seller.
- Sales of the XTS luxury sedan more than doubled, surpassing 4,700 units.
- ATS-L luxury sport sedan sales grew 67 percent to more than 4,500 units.
- Deliveries of the CT6 prestige sedan were 1.8 times higher than in the previous February, topping 1,200 units.
- Buick deliveries totaled 66,507 units, posting an increase of 22 percent – the highest since September 2016.
- The best-selling Buick model, the Excelle GT sedan, had increased sales of 35 percent to more than 20,000 units.
- Deliveries of the Verano family jumped 54 percent to over 11,000 units.
- The GL8 MPV family sold about 7,500 units, with around half coming from the new-generation GL8.
- Chevrolet deliveries jumped 25 percent to 29,000 units.
- Sales of the Cavalier sedan, the brand’s most popular model, soared 86 percent from a year earlier to nearly 11,000 units.
- Deliveries of the Malibu family, Chevrolet’s flagship sedan, rose 53 percent to about 6,400 units.
- The Equinox had deliveries of over 3,500 units, sustaining its strong competitiveness in the global SUV market.
- Baojun sales rose 38 percent to 74,745 units.
- The Baojun 510 SUV had deliveries of nearly 32,000 units, making it the brand’s most popular model for the 11th consecutive month.
- Sales of the Baojun 310 family soared 68 percent to more than 18,000 units, driven by robust demand for the Baojun 310 wagon.
- Wuling deliveries totaled 78,892 units, as the brand maintained its stronghold in the mini-commercial segment.
- The Hong Guang MPV family, Wuling’s best-selling nameplate, had deliveries of more than 46,000 units. The Hong Guang S3, which reached the market in November, contributed one-third of sales.